Monday 21 November 2016

The Long Run

A key element of any long distance training plan is the long run. Usually done on the weekend because it takes a long time and recovery is needed afterwards. And it gives you the pleasure of lots of eating afterwards and a well deserved afternoon nap!

Every Saturday for the last few months, I have woken up early, at the latest 05H00, and got myself ready for it. A cup of bullet proof coffee, a handful of nuts, load my running vest with water, energy shots, cellphone, some cash for emergencies, and I am ready to hit the road!

To fit in runs for 20 to 35 km's require some planning so you don't hit endless traffic lights or pedestrians that break your rhythm. That is why getting up early is crucial, you can avoid the morning rush and "bend the law" by crossing lights on the red. Also, it is cooler in temperature and have the virtuous feeling of running past late night revelers stumbling out of bars and clubs.

One of my frequent routes takes me down the shopping heaven/hell that is Orchard Road. I love running through the crazy early Christmas scenery marveling at all the reindeer, elves and, for some obscure reason, mushrooms!

My last few long runs have all involved some kind of drama. There was the planned 35k East Coast Park that ended up with me being crippled with diarrhea after eating a dodgy energy bar. I ended up with 30k in 3h running time but it involved numerous pit stops. An easy 30k hurt really badly after I killed myself the previous day on the bike. A 25k that was mostly done in a yuuuge thunderstorm and made the pavements very slippery, and I ended up falling hard!

My last big run this Saturday became a mental exercise rather than a physical one. I had developed a spasming muscle in the left calf from running to much in wet, slippery conditions in the last two weeks. (Barefooting is tricky on slippery hard surfaces as I am continuously tense waiting to arrest any fall, and my muscles don't relax and so get very stiff)

20 minutes into the run, my calf started spasming badly and 10 minutes later I was stopping to massage it but to no avail. I turned around in a furious mood as I had got up at 04H00 for this run, and proceeded to hobble back home. As I got close to home, a violent thunderstorm broke but I do love running in the rain even if it is slippery. I decided to do a 10k loop near my house so at least I would have a two hour run for my troubles and stop me from feeling grumpy the whole weekend. My calf muscle was loosening a bit and I could run slowly, and I would only be, at most, 5km from home, so could walk back if things got serious.

I also reminded myself that things like this could happen on race day and I would have to deal with it. And this was the last crucial run before I started tapering so I would have to time to deal with any injuries.

And then two hours turned into 3 hours when I decided to run Rifle Range Road which I had never run as a road run. And then 3 turned to 4. Ended the run with 37km under the belt. Not the speed I was hoping for but my average pulse rate was 130 bpm which is comfortable, and I got the big boost of confidence that I could do the marathon barefoot come what may. And that is the main reason to do long runs, the mental confidence that you can tackle the distance.

My legs were fine on Sunday but my calf was like a block of wood and very sore to the touch. After seeing the physio, I might have a small tear, but with some needles being poked into me, excruciatingly painful pressure point massages and rehab exercises, I should be OK for the day.

And I have done the training!! Now it's just rest and light exercise for the next two weeks and then race day!


No comments:

Post a Comment