Sunday 9 October 2016

Hard Training, Running in the Rain and Loss of Dignity

This week was one of my hard training weeks. I have been doing a 3 week cycle with first week easy, second week moderate, and third week hard. The number of sessions are usually the same but the intensity varies.

This week included 2 gym sessions, track and hill sprint sessions, some time on the bike and a 16km run with a friend, and some light swimming. That was just the week. Saturday was a 11km shake out run keeping pulse down but concentrating on technique especially leg drive. Followed by a coaching clinic with Human Naturally. More of that to follow once I get the videos in.

Sunday I did my Long Slow Run. This week the aim was 25k in 2h30. By Saturday I could feel my body feeling run down but that is the aim. Stress followed by recovery!

I woke up at 5h00 to that "Blah!" feeling. It was matter of getting the job done and then putting up my feet up for the rest of the day. After a big cup of cold brew coffee, which is the best thing in the morning when facing the heat and humidity of Singapore, getting my Camelbak stuffed with 1L bladder, some gels and a bag of nuts for energy, some light dynamic stretching, and some chafe precautions, I hit the road at 6h00.


Within 10 minutes it started to rain lightly and then quickly became a proper tropical downpour with thunder and lightning. I was running down the glitzy Orchard Road which became a real challenge. The problem is all the fancy tiling on the road, which, in rain, becomes very slippery. Barefoot running's biggest drawback is the lack of grip on slick surfaces. Our ancestors never had to encounter this!

I had to watch for any slight declines and shiny patches through pools of water. Obviously this was stressful so you might be wondering why I did not just wait out the storm. Well, my logic told me I could face this on the day of the race so better get the experience. And I really love running in the rain! Especially barefoot! I feel like a kid and a hero at the same time, and I get to splash through puddles for a reason! Also, no heavy wet shoes for me!

But it did come with a price. The constant stress of my feet never being totally sure of the surface, ready for a sudden slip or slide caused my calves to take more strain than normal. After 30 minutes they felt like blocks of wood. Even when the rain stopped, the surfaces were still slick. At about 50 minutes I turned off the road and made my way to The Marina. There the pavement became regular tar and concrete and I felt comfortable again. I just had to watch for the occasional patch but felt myself moving well. My route took me to Kallang Sports Centre and became really enjoyable with a cool morning and fresh air. I wish I could have taken photos but everything was sopping wet (luckily my phone is waterproof).

Hit the turn around point at exactly 1:15 (12km) so pretty happy. My pulse rate was nice and low, my legs felt tired but willing and I had survived an unexpected challenge.

A quick handful of nuts and a slug of water, and I was heading back. About 15 minutes, I stupidly decided to run through a large muddy puddle. Before I knew it, my legs shot out from under me and I fell spectacularly on my back with sunglasses, hat and water going in all directions! So much for the confidence.

After gathering my dignity and equipment, I realized that I felt totally fine and actually even better than before the spill. The hard fall had "reset" some tired muscles in my hips. Maybe like a chiropractor's session. Hmmm, I could start a new re-hab thing with this...

My route took me back along Alexander Canal and I reached a point of just getting so tired of slick tiled surfaces that I veered off to run on the back streets home, just so that I could get some comfortable surfaces. Finished the run well with a time of 2h30'15 and 24k. My pulse never went above 130bpm and when I finally sat down at home I felt tired after the hard week but not shattered like I thought I would be. Some stretching and then a well deserved plate of bacon and eggs. Yeah, week done!


1 comment:

  1. Just read your posts - running a marathon barefoot is quite a goal, many would say crazy! :-) Looking forward to seeing you and Molly at our Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete