Saturday 1 October 2016

The Saturday LSR (Long Slow Run)

As every runner knows, one morning on the weekend is dedicated to the LSR (Long Slow Run). Generally the morning is preferred because you can pig out on food and veg on the coach for the rest of the day with zero guilt!

Today's run was from my house, Alexander Canal, around Marina Bay and back.


I have done it all but never as one run, but estimated it at 20km which is what I was aiming for today.

The morning started out slow. I needed 2 cups of coffee to wake up and felt lethargic. I think it was the fartlek session on Thursday catching up!

Once on the road at 06h30, I felt OK but none of that springy, bouncy energy. Keeping a glance at my cadence, I could see that I was not maintaining my normal 90 a minute. (More of that in a future blog post). It looked like today was going to be a tough one! Which was surprising because last week I had a great run along the Pandan Park Connector and this week's runs were all solid. Maybe slightly over doing things...

But it was a fine morning. There had been no rain this whole week so the air was pretty dry, which is really nice in Singapore. The sky was a good combination of some clouds and clear sky so sunrise was bound to be good. I really love being out and about at sunrise. It is a special time of day when I feel full of energy and the city is still sleepy.

The light was pretty good when I reached Marina Bay, so took some photos.





Finished the Marina Bay loop and headed home. At about 1h30 the wheels started coming off. It was becoming a mental strength run. I just reminded myself that this is what you feel at the end of a long race and suck it up and deal with it.

I usually carry some energy gels with me on long runs, but rarely take them. They are for last resort measures. I prefer to run off my fat reserves, which are more than enough, thank you!

Today, I did dig into my gels and was glad I did.

I got home in the end, stopped the watch and saw I did 19.7km in 2:00:36. Just off by 300m and 36 seconds what I wanted to do.

Kinda funny because last weekend I ran at 11km/h and it was easy. Just 10% difference and it felt sluggish.

Oh well, not my best run but I'm glad I got it under my belt. And now I get to have some guilt free eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment