Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Great Singapore Loop - Day 1

Day 1- 01 August 2017

I was pretty excited when I got up. Today was going to be the most fun day with lots of support along the way, going through lots of parks and I knew most of the route. A perfect way to start!

I met up with Mark at 05:10 at Labrador Park MRT, and got going. We had to keep time as he had 06:15 rendezvous with his outrigger canoe club along the way.

Dropped him off at the 10k mark and then eased up a bit as my next meeting point was 10k and 1H15 away. Got to Marina Boulevard after some highway running and the sun was just starting to break through the morning clouds. After a short break, Rachel and the Worster family came along with some ice cold water and lots of encouragement.




Then Rachel and I set off for the 3rd 10k. We had a great fortune to see 2 otter families in 15 minutes (these Marina Bay otters are probably the world's most famous otters, and totally chill with their fame!)





 The next section was all in the East Coast Park, about 22km long, with plenty public toilets and cold drink vending machines. Jeri, the brand ambassador for Hoka One One, met me along the way for some km's. She is busy training for a 420km single stage run across Malaysia! Seriously impressive!




 At the last toilet, I drank till my stomach ached, filled my water bottles and bladder, and got my head right for the next 16km. I had been warned about this section, Tanah Merah Coastal Road, a new road with a 10k dead straight section, no shade, no water, no buildings, no nothing. And I was starting it at 11:00 under a full tropical sun with air temperature of 35C!

I have no idea of what the ground temperature was, but the asphalt was brand new, pitch black and with zero wind, for the first time running barefoot, I felt sorry for my soles. My speed dropped and every km took an eternity. I was going through water so fast. And I could not stop at all. Just keep going. This turned out to be the most difficult section of my whole run.



A slight bend in the road up ahead took 20 minutes to get to, and I was just dying. After nearly 2 hours, I got out and made to my last park. Downed 2 sports drinks from a vending machine, filled up on water and did the last few km's to Changi Point. 55km done for the day!

I was feeling pretty beat up and my soles were tender. Doubts about tomorrow were creeping in.

Just have to add that my ,very social, running club kept me entertained with lots of encouragement, jokes and banter. When you are getting stuff like this all day, it keeps the spirits up!


No comments:

Post a Comment