Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Great Singapore Loop - Day 2

I woke up feeling much better than I went to sleep and super excited that Mark was going to join me again for the first bit. And I get a bonus lift in his car back to Changi Point! Once again hitting the deserted streets at 5AM, my legs felt good and I had to reign myself back because I was in uncharted territory, having never done a back to back on marathon plus distances. Actually I have never even done any proper back to back long runs!

Luckily we were soon onto the famous Singapore Park Connector Network (PCN). A 300km network of pedestrian paths connecting all the parks, often in beautiful surroundings. We stopped for a break at Pasir Ris Park at 6AM and then got to Coney/ Serangoon Island at sunrise. It was great to wade out into the sea. I really wanted to go swimming but was scared of salt water drying and causing later rashes.


We carried on, spotting another family of otters in the sea at Punggol Jetty.

Mark left me at 21k and I was on my way, back into highways and industrial areas.

 The rest of the day was just keeping it easy and steady. It was quite pleasant as I got to visit 5 coastal parks, three of which I have never been to before. These parks are a blessing, often cooler than surrounding areas because of all the trees, pretty clean toilets, water coolers and vending machines. (Just using the parks, I only bought 1.5L of water in the 4 days!)

 Johor, Malaysia seen from Woodlands Jetty. The speed and scale of construction is impressive!

I ended the day on 53km at Sungei Buloh, my most favorite park in Singapore. The only place on the island where you have a great opportunity of seeing saltwater crocodiles in a very wild setting.

Interestingly, by keeping my speed down right from the start, my net pace was slightly faster than Day 1 and I ate and drank less. My Suunto generated recovery time was also half of the previous day.

Caught a taxi back home and was really pondering the next day, it was going to be a big one!

No comments:

Post a Comment